A few observations I have heard but can’t swear to:
- In 1970 so few Omanis were educated that most teachers came from Egypt. Now almost all teachers are Omani.
- Almost all restaurant workers are guest workers. But the owner would be Omani – only Omanis are allowed to own restaurants (is this true of all businesses, I wonder?)
- Some jobs are restricted to Omanis – taxi driver and water tanker driver. Why? Because these are good jobs that don’t require education, just a drivers’ license.
- All government jobs, police and military are only for Omanis.
- Someone working in the fields is not Omani, but the owner of the farm is.
- An old man carrying grass on his head to his flock in rural Oman is Omani (why, if the current point about Omanis not working in the fields is the case?)
- For every 5 foreign workers hired, a business must hire an Omani.